Pałac w Krotoszycach, Krotoszyce
, Krotoszyce
Check-in
Check-out

The Palace in Krotoszyce is an estate from XVIIth century with farm buildings and historic park (6ha).

The palace is located in the Kaczawa Valley. A convenient location of the palace is our asset - a few kilometers from Legnica and A4 highway, near the expressway S3. In less than an hour you will safely and comfortably reach Wrocław. It is also close to the capitals of our neighbors - Prague and Berlin. We suggest visiting not well known but very calm and charming Kaczawa Foothills and Mountains.

The palace in Krotoszyce was built in 1600, probably by Hans Heinrich Sebladus, and served primarily as a defensive castle with a moat. After Sebaldus’ death subsequent owners repaired and altered the building until 1686, when Florian Gottlob von Thielau gave it the shape of neo-baroque palace. A date in heraldic cartouche above the entrance is the evidence of it. Despite the reconstruction in the mid-nineteenth century and the renovation in 1964, the palace hasn’t lost its shape.

Until 1949 the building was under Soviet administration. When they left, it passed into the hands of the Państwowe Gospodarstwo Rolne (State Agricultural Farm), and after its collapse it was taken over by the Agencja Własności Rolnych (Agricultural Property Agency), that was looking for an investor who would save the monument from falling into disrepair.

The current investor, Przedsiębiorstwo Transportowo - Budowlane Sp. z o.o.(Transport and Construction Company LLC) from Złotoryja, carries out renovations of the palace, trying to restore its original appearance.

History of the Palace

The palace in Krotoszyce is certainly a gem of this small, charming village.

Krotoszyce attracts history lovers and crowds of tourists due to the interesting geographic location and the geology of the entire Kaczawskie Foothills, which is also called the Land of Extinct Volcanoes.

The palace was built over the centuries and changed its style and appearance many times.

The building was built on a rectangular plan. It has a two-wing, brick structure, covered with a gable roof. The eastern wing has two floors with an attic, while the western wing has three floors. A very interesting, well-preserved historical element is the coat of arms of the von Thielau family from 1864, which is located on the heraldic cartouche above the present entrance to the palace. The manor farm buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries formerly belonged to the palace. They included numerous cowsheds, stables, barns and a coach house. Although the palace and park area has been destroyed over time, now both the palace and its surroundings are restored to their former glory by Przedsiębiorstwo Transportowo-Budowlane with headquarter in Złotoryja. Since 2010, the company has been running a three-star hotel "Pałac Krotoszyce" here, which serves as a conference and hotel complex with a restaurant and a SPA center.

The palace is situated in a picturesque, neo-romantic park, which was established during the modernization of the building carried out in 1984. Its magnificent area of over 6 hectares is a perfect place for walks, rest or active leisure among the nature. There is a pond in the park with a varied shoreline, reinforced with stones and planted with lime trees.

Certainly the park's greatest "treasure" is an over 350-year-old London plane tree with a circumference of 700 cm, which has been entered on the list of nature monuments. The tree is eye-catching with its impressive size, but also with its typical, characteristic bark, peeling in the form of shields.

In 2020, additional walking paths were created that run through almost the entire area of the park, among various tree species, including maples, chestnut trees, birches, oaks and lindens.

The history of the Palace in Krotoszyce is quite extensive and ambiguous.

Over the centuries, its owners have changed many times.

The village of Krotoszyce was founded in 1255 and this date is considered as the beginning of the existence of the estate on which the Palace is located. Initially, the owner was Bolesław II, the prince of Silesia, also known as the Lord of Krotoszyce. The next owners under the pledge law were the citizens of nearby Legnica: Nitsche and Peter Ungerothen.

They occupied the property for the next 34 years, and in 1433 it passed into the hands of the Carthusian monks.

In the second half of the 16th century, the ruling Lord of Krotoszyce was Peter Heinrich, those days also called as the Lord of the Legnica farm, and later also of Nowa Wieś Legnica.

The year 1600 is an important date for this place, because this year, according to sources, Hans Sebaldus Heinrich started the construction of the Palace in Krotoszyce or significantly rebuilt the existing residence. The building was to serve as a defensive castle surrounded by a moat.

Hans Sebaldus Heinrich also was of great importance for the history of Krotoszyce, due to the renovation of the church in Krotoszyce in 1626. 10 years later, in the second half of the 17th century, the palace had another owner, Florian Thilo von Thielau. He also became the master of Krotoszyce. He significantly rebuilt and enlarged the Palace, giving it a baroque character.

For the next 170 years, the property was managed by successive members of the von Thielau family. An interesting fact is that in 1787, Louise Christiane von Thielau became the first woman to rule Krotoszyce village and the palace estate. She probably came from the nearby village of Rzymówka. This is not the only influential woman at the time. In the first half of the 19th century, Henriette Engler became the mistress of Krotoszyce.

In the years 1881-1912, another Lord of Krotoszyce made an electric modernization of the palace and another reconstruction, as evidenced by the date above the entrance portal of the added staircase in the west wing.

After the Second World War, in the years 1945-1949, the Krotoszyce estate was administered by the Soviet army, and later ownership was taken over by the State Farm in Krotoszyce.

Only in 1990, the property passed into private hands.

The legend of the coat of arms von Thielau from "Schlesische Heimat" 1864 - a coat of arms, which was immortalized on the coat of arms cartouche above the present entrance to the palace.

"The ring and the magpie"

One day in the castle in Liegnitz in Silesia a very precious ring of the Duchess disappeared, which she kept in her room. Apart from the Duchess, only one noble boy had access to this room. He was responsible for serving the Duchess and was immediately suspected of having stolen the ring. He stubbornly denied and pointed out that he was of an old house and that he was therefore not to be trusted to do such a thing. All this was of no use, he was chased out of the castle with disgrace.

After many years the duke organized a great hunt. A knight observed a magpie that lied in the nest in a tall tree. He stepped closer, and as he did so he saw something blinking and glittering in the nest. He climbed the tall tree and found in the nest a ring which the Duchess recognized as hers and which she had missed so much. Now it became apparent that the former noble boy had been wrongly accused of theft. He, who in the meantime had grown into a man, was again called to the Duke's Liegnitz court and accepted again with grace. In order to redress the injustice, the duke gave him his castle in Kroitsch with the whole village. He said to him: "From now on, because you and your old knightly father are the last branches of a noble house, lead a tree trunk with two branches in the coat of arms. The thieving magpie with the ring in its beak should sit on the crowned knight's helmet. This should remind me that I have done you wrong ". There he lived in contentment and happiness for many years. The von Thielau family have had this coat of arms since those days and still use it today.

Plans for the future

The palace will offer 12 high standard rooms, a restaurant with 30 seats, a café and a small conference room.

There will be also a mini-SPA and a wine-bar in the basement.

On warm days, there will be opened an open-air beer garden with a view to the pond and the historic park. Benches by the pond will encourage to rest.

The entrance to the palace will be adorned with a beautiful fountain. The historic park will delight you with trees, and its English style will make the walks pleasant.

Special offers

Hotel rooms
from 360PLN /stay
from 360PLN /stay

See details

Hotel rooms

Oferta dla biznesu
from 540PLN /stay
from 540PLN /stay

See details

Oferta dla biznesu

see all

Pałac w Krotoszycach
Parkowa 3 59-223 Krotoszyce

See on map
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date with our promotions and special offers.

In order to provide services at the highest level, the Website uses cookies saved in the browser's memory . Detailed information on the purpose of their use and the possibility to change cookie settings can be found in the Privacy Policy.
By clicking ACCEPT ALL, you agree to the use of technologies such as cookies and to the processing of your personal data collected on the Internet, such as IP addresses and cookie IDs, for marketing purposes(including automatically matching ads to your interests and measuring their performance) by Przedsiębiorstwo Transportowo Budowlane, Ul. Gajowa 23/14, 50-519, Wrocław . You can change cookie settings in the settings.

Manage privacy settings
Cookies necessary for the operation of the website

Cookies necessary for the operation of the services available on the website, enabling the viewing of offers, making reservations, supporting security mechanisms, among others: authentication of users and detection of abuse.

Analytical cookies

Cookies allow the collection of information about the user's use of the website to optimize its functioning and to adapt to the user's expectations.

Marketing cookies

Cookies allow the display of marketing content tailored to user's preferences, and the sending of notifications about marketing offers corresponding to their interests, including product information as well as information about services provided by the website administrator and third parties.

Your preferences have not yet been saved